July 16, 2009

The Universe Stopped Conspiring- Part Two

**Part 2**
Read Part One here



I was in love and for just that one look at her I could do just about anything. Even if everything meant walking for 15 minutes and to the stationary shop outside her building, everyday in the hope that someday I'd get to see her standing on the balcony! Even if it meant buying new pens, refills, erasers, pencils and ink cartridges (one everyday....those were the days of pocket money being 10Rs/day) not from the shop near my house.... but walking for 15 minutes and going to that one shop near her's!!!


One fine day, she did turn up at the same time when I was buying a sharpener(for the pencil I would be buying the next day) she was at the balcony having her evening cup of tea. She waved to me and my heart missed more than just one beat! She was saying something to me, which I couldn't hear, so I gave her a call from the PCO outside the shop. (I had asked for her number once earlier.... just in case I had a doubt..... regarding what.... I don't know!) and we spoke for 10 minutes. And I didn't sleep that night.


This continued for around three months.... waking for 15 minutes everyday, sacrificing the 10 Rs I got for eating Vada-pav and eating from others' tiffins just to see her while talking to her for 10 minutes a day. I simply loved the way I'd talk in English and she'd reply in Hindi. Being a Southie, my Hindi sucked.... but it improved by leaps and bounds in these three months! And, she never really called me aap after that first conversation, but, the other peripheral words she used for me, were well, the ones you use for aap! Needless to say, the PCO owner became my best friend..... he actually put a chair near the phone for me to sit because I used to go there, everyday..... !!


Finally after three months, I mustered up some courage (how I did it, don't ask!) and told her,
"I really like you..... so.... what do you think....like.... about me...?" I stammered, for the first time in my life, there was no thoughts to tongue co-ordination in me!
"Err.... soch ke batau?" she replied, the smile missing.
"Ok..." I said, wondering what soch ke batau meant in Hindi..... a yes or a no!
I waited and waited and waited for 3 days for the answer.... why on Earth did I have to ask her on a Friday!?!? For those 72 hours, I don't what I ate, how much I drank and how little I slept.... all I did was stare at that God-damned phone of mine to ring just once....
On Monday, finally, she came upto me, "err.... woh din ke baare main baat karni thi..."
Did an earthquake happen or everything spinning around me was just a delusion, I thought to myself.
"Maine socha, aur haan...jo pucha tha uske liye!"
HAAN..... It means YES in Hindi, right..... I checked it thrice in my head!! Till now, I had heard people saying that they went weak in their knees.... now I knew what it meant..... suddenly, my knees couldn't just take my body weight.... I felt like screaming like Tarzan in happiness.... but I didn't... lest she change her mind about being my Jane!!
"So, what did you like in me", I asked..... after a few minutes I spent trying to get my head in order.
"Umm...... sabkuch" she answered. Simple and sweet........ who wanted a full personality evaluation anyways! Life was P-E-R-F-E-C-T!! Simple and sweet......just like the girl I loved!! Complicated stuff like black holes and Theory of Relativity best be left with PhDs!!!

******



It's just so amazing how we can remember parts of our lives so vividly that each and every word spoken is carved in our heads! This story is written verbatim from what was narrated to me (it took 2 three hour phone calls for me to write down the dailouges.... yeah, I wrote them down on a paper)... I didn't want to change the charm of the story by writing it in MY way...so the story is exactly how it happened, some 9 years back!

All the while my friend was narrating his story to me, I kept on irritating him by saying how Yashraj film-ish his story was.... and then he said one and I shut up for the rest of the story. He said, "There's just a little difference..... Yashraj stories have a happy ending..
Only if life was so PERFECT! They were PERFECT for each other. Only if people were to understand it.....or atleast give them a chance. They did see each other for 3 years after that....which meant just seeing and talking, literally! But, fate had other plans. They aren't together today, not because they couldn't adjust with each other or the normal couple-issues.... but because people wouldn't understand that you don't really ask the other person they language they spoke, or the different form of the same God they worshipped before they fall in love..... Because they weren't given even ONE chance to see if their relationship could work. She's a Marwadi, getting married soon....and he's a Southie, well, talking crap all day, making others laugh by this cheap, vulgar, non sensical jokes.....just so that he doesn't have to be quiet for a single second....because that would mean thinking about her in that one free second....and one more month trying to let her go....again.

He's the one guy, whom I've said... go run away with her.... and he refused. He said he would, if running away solved problems, he would...but it only creates more, so he's accepted that he has to move on. And when I asked him if I could write his story on my blog.... he just had one request....Don't take her name in your blog. Don't know why it touched my heart!! I just hope I never meet her in my life.... because I would beg her to be with him, knowing the fact that she wants it much more than I do.



Anyways, Read chapter 6 of my story here.

23 comments:

krish said...

Hi Nupur
why does this question come up all the time what did you like in me ?
i mean see if someone likes someone then is it necessary to state reasons for it.it all starts with attraction which is your senses-eyes,smell,voice.
so no matter what one says it actually is just that.But i guess no one would say things like-'i like the vibrations sent from your local vocal cords.'
Anyways nice story very much near to reality and i can emphathise with the southy me being one as well

left unseen yet seen because.... said...

nupur i am in awe of ur writing and i can undstand wat ur southie mus hav gone thru cus i hav said a yes to such a southie once in my life and hav seen how he went weak in his knees...
destiny has weired plans!!

Nothing but "Ficus" said...

Nice story. Very well written. And the fact that its true, and life throws uncertainities and unhappy endings at you is sad, and yet in a way, captures the realism.

One little point about story writing. If I were to go into a dialog in hindi (as the female character often does), I would keep it short, and rewrite the english meaning in italics. A sudden shift to hindi otherwise causes a little amount of distraction in reading the otherwise freely flowing story. :)

Adisha said...

Thats a beautiful complement to the one before ... Very nicely done ...

ankit_shroff said...

u r absolutely rgt why dat guy keeps on talkin incessantly...........

thnx a lot dear 4 makin me respect my bestest frnd way beyond i do already 4 his brains.........

dis was one issue i hd nevr discussd wit him since da 3 yrs dat v hv met, mayb coz i felt it mgt b jst nthr love story gone wrong, mayb coz i didnt wnt to hurt him by reviving those memories......whtevr da reasn THNX A ZILLION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lets get back 2 da usual stuff of ur blogs.....ur blogs r nt meant 2 b dis senti........der is literally a lump in my throat as i m writin rgt nw.........

ur blogs hv alws been stress busters 4 me.........

THNX A TON!!!!!! again........u r gettin smthn whn v meet nxt time!!!!

Nupur said...


@ Krish: It seems like a scatter brain question, but we always want to know, what is it in us that the other person likes.... it's human I guess.... i mean, this is one question even I would be asking my guy... but then again, not everyone is the same


@ Manalee: Tell about Destiny and its plans!!


@Ficus: I normally don't write in Hindi, but the next time when I do, I'll keep it in mind. Thanks for dropping by


@Adisha: Thanks!


@Ankit; Well, the guy has told us why he does it.... even before I knew the reason, he was the only guy who could talk cheap in front of me (without me cringing!!!)...it was genuine, and I could feel it.
Well, don't all of us respect him?? I mean come one man, I owe him my sanity and my Graduation!!!
Sorry for the lump thing, but this was one story that was so cute yet painful at the same time... i just to tell it!


And I know, bloody idiot is smiling reading all the comments...!!

krish said...

arre nupur dont take it personally and you can very well ask this question with detailed explaination.its a good way of getting ego massage and who doesnt want it.trust me most guys irrespective of whatever ans they come up with are struck only with attraction by their senses(no pun intended)
see the question,"what did you like in me ?" indicates the guy to be having a preconcieved idea of what he wants in a girl and has found it all in one.but we guys are not like that.The truth is - we just look for a girl.Rest is a bonus.

CRD said...

@Krish - :O

HELL NO!!

CRD said...

@krish - speak only for urslef and not for all guys. coz i feel tht was crap

CRD said...

,

krish said...

@CRD - hey dude i was speaking for the majority and it always happens that while speaking for the majority the minority gets annoyed.part of the game.and i just say what i feel is true.if you have a pr with my gall bladder cant help it,cant live without it u see.

Nupur said...


@ Krish: It is about the guy asking what the girl liked in him... so how does he having a preconceived notion about the girl come in the picture??
Anyways, to each his own!

@ Krish and CRD: Chill, guys!!!

@ Krish: Umm....er, I think the majority seems to thinking otherwise!!

krish said...

@ Nupur :arre Nupurjee,the guy having a preconceived notion about the girl related stuff was my reply to how guys are these days when you had said even you would be asking the same question to your guy.but nevertheless i think i have quite strayed away from the story.see thats what you writeups do we get so involved that we start being opinionistic,keep up the good work

krish said...

@ CRD :peace brother,i am just foolishly courageous to speak what i feel is true.have no intention to annoy anyone

krish said...

@ Nupur :i hope so too that you be right about the majority.but hope is a dangerous thing that does not necessarily be in the right direction always.aneways you keep up the good work and we will keep up having such debates.stay good bbye

Kuttsguru said...

Thanks a lot nupur for the wonderful way in which you have inked..rather typed it down..it may be verbatim but you have captured the entire essence of the love story..never wanted to comment but it's 'coz of a comment u received.. i think every guy has some idea as to how the girl he loves has to be,some may call it preconceived notion though i wouldn't second with it and getting to know what your partner thinks about u only adds to the charm and durability of the relationship... thanks again nupur ;)

Nupur said...

@ Krish: thanks, and peace, brother!!!

@ Ajay: *Speechless* And this was Thank You- Card II!!!

krish said...

@ Ajay:Very true brother all that you said.just that truth has many facets and i somehow always manage to bring out the unconventional ones that most ppl like to overlook

@ Nupur :See i not only comment but also make ppl who wouldnt have commented otherwise place their comments.tommorow if you become a famous writer dont forget to write my name in acknowledgements for stirring up or rather heating up the blog and that too so much that the world started asking for peace.:)

Nupur said...

@ Krish: Sure!

Vinod... said...

nice story... I can relate with the southie guy.. on 2 counts.. and as chandler keeps reiterating. humour can be used as a defense mechanism

Saim said...

Happy endings in real life are exceptions, the rule is...(less said abt it the better)
tell him to cherish the memories, it was meant to be only this long!!!

well written *claps*

Saim said...

Btw...I got an award, had to pass it on...remembered u've never visited my space...this seemed to be the perfect bribe to make u pay a visit:P
do visit n collect the award:)

ohh n b4 I forget, the award requires a tag to be done...so I even gifted u a free fund ka blog post:D

Nupur said...


@ Vinod: True!!

@ Numb: I do read your blogs!! And thanks for the award!! yipee!! I got an award!!