May 24, 2008

Six Degrees of Separtion

I was wikipedia-ing a few days back to look for Six Degrees, a book on Global Warming by Mark Lyans when I came across this theory which is called as the "Six Degrees of Separation" theory. It refers to the idea that, if a person is one step away from each person he or she knows and two steps away from each person who is known by one of the people he or she knows, then everyone is an average of six "steps" away from each person on Earth. Simply put, it means that you know any person on this planet with a distance of 6 other people between the two of you!

This theory was widely popular in the early 1990's. One of the earliest social networking sites was called "Six Degrees" to highlight the closeness between us Earthlings! There have been a lot of plays, TV shows, films with the same name showing how close we are despite the distance between us!

Just to check how true this theory holds in my case I tried to calculate how do I know Irfan (Pathan ofcourse, you sillies!). Lets see... hmm... I know Shraddha, my school friend, she knows her Dad(obviously!), her Dad knows SRK(the former is the ACP of Mumbai), SRK knows Priet Zinta and Priety definitely knows Irfan!!That's precisely 6 people! Bingo!! And yeah by bingo, Binga(Brett Lee) comes to mind and I know him the same way! I know Shaun Marsh too! Wow!! I'm loving this theory! This is wonderful! Maybe I should get behind Shraddha to introduce me to the string of people who'd finally get me to Irfan! Wow, I love Wikipedia!!

No comments: